All-new NissanTeana Arrives At Japan Dealers On February 5
All-new NissanTeana Arrives At Japan Dealers On February 5 – Jan 20, 2014– Yokohama, Japan (AutoReleased) – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the all-new Nissan Teana, which goes on sale on February 5, 2014 at Nissan dealers throughout Japan.
The new Teana is developed as a global model with an annual sales target of over 600,000 units in more than 120 countries, including Japan, U.S.*1 and China. The theme for the first-generation model was “modern living,” while “hospitality” defined the second-generation car, and for the new, third-generation Teana, Nissan pursued the theme of “driving performance,” optimally balancing driving performance and comfort. Nissan is not just seeking a vehicle that can take passengers to their destination, but one that also provides enjoyment getting there.
Highlights of the new Teana:
○ An elegant exterior design that inspires the soul
Like its predecessors, the new Teana possesses a high-quality premium look. For this generation, the designers gave the exterior a shot of adrenaline, making it look sportier and more vibrant by way of a wider, more aggressive stance. The Teana has an enhanced overall presence thanks to sharp character lines extending from the front face rearward that evoke fluid momentum, and its stately front grille that sits between canted headlamps. The car’s svelte profile results in improved aerodynamic efficiency in a classic display of form following function.
A new color, “Waterfall Blue,” inspired by the hue of a waterfall, accentuates the premium sedan’s presence and quality feel. The color is developed exclusively for the new Teana.
○ Interior with a touch of glamour and freedom
The third-generation Teana inherits the concept of Omotenashi (hospitality) from its predecessor. The cabin is highlighted by a distinct character line that stretches from the instrument panel to the door trim, reminiscent of a majestic bird with its wings spread out. Again, form follows function as the elegant presentation of the interior also results in plenty of space for occupants.
The new front seat design features “Spinal Support Technology,” which greatly improves passenger comfort. The driver is assured of the ideal driving position, thanks to enhanced seat adjustability, a telescopic and tilting steering wheel and the easy-to-use placement of the shift handle. The front passenger seat has been modified with an enlarged support area of the ottoman, providing more comfort than ever, while rear-seat occupants are treated to ample knee room. Also, interior noise has been greatly reduced in the new Teana.
○ Providing driving comfort for long road trips
The new Teana provides even the most ardent driving enthusiast with a high level of performance. An all new multi-link rear suspension system delivers excellent turn-in response, supple ride quality and improved overall handling, giving the driver a sense of adventure and security. The Active Trace Control refines handling through all variety of corners by minimizing steering corrections.
Providing the power is a new QR25 engine that comes mated to Nissan’s XTRONIC CVT. The two combine to deliver excellent acceleration off the line, as well as an ample supply of low- and mid-range torque, handy when overtaking slower vehicles. And thanks in part to revised ratios of the XTRONIC CVT, the new Teana also excels in fuel economy (14.4km/L).
When it comes to safety, the Teana offers a suite of innovative safety and convenience features. It features crash avoidance support technologies inspired by Nissan’s renowned “Safety Shield” technologies, including the acclaimed “Around View Monitor (AVM) with Moving Object Detection (MOD).” This system detects moving objects around the car, and is an especially helpful tool when maneuvering in parking lots. Additionally, “Blind Spot Warning (BSW)” and “Lane Departure Warning (LDW)” systems are available, helping drivers have a safer and more comfortable driving experience.
Highly visible “Advanced Drive Assist Display” offers navigation and controls for the in-car entertainment system, as well as status information for the car’s numerous safety features and an ECO meter to let drivers know when they are driving in an environmentally conscious manner.
Sales target: 520 units / month
Price range: 2,429,700 yen to 3,045,000 yen, including consumption tax
Sales launch event: Saturday, February 8 – Sunday, February 9 (TBD)
Overview of the new Teana
Exterior design expressing vibrancy and speed with a distinctive character
- Stately front grille with three-dimensional design
- Canted headlamps that suggest a piercing look of the eyes
- Horizontally U-shaped clear-cut LED rear combination lamps that give a more sophisticated impression
- Side view with an accented character line flowing from front fender to the rear
- Wide rear fender for a lower center of gravity
- Two kinds of aluminum wheels for sportier ride
- Available in six exterior colors including a new color, Waterfall Blue (Scratch Shield)
High-quality interior design highlighted by an accentuated character line
- Instrument panel design combining enhanced interior roominess and comfort
- Highly visible “Advanced Drive Assist Display” with a sense of depth
- Fine Vision Meter display
- Center panel with silver finisher on both sides, creating a sharp impression
- Air conditioner control panel finished in deep Piano Black, enhancing a quality feel
- Chrome-plated accents used throughout the interior, including inner door handles and cup holders, offering a luxury feel
- Available in relaxed wood-grain accents or modern and stylish, mesh-pattern metal finisher creating a sense of depth
2. Driving performance, packaging
- Equipped with the newly-developed QR25DE engine with low- and mid-range torque improved by enhanced combustion and emission efficiencies, providing agile driving in a city and strong, stress-free acceleration in overtaking on highways
- Frictional resistance reduced by up to 40 percent with about 80 percent of parts either newly-developed or improved
- Paired with the engine is the newly-developed XTRONIC CVT with improved fuel economy and acceleration performance realized by a wider gear ratio
- Fuel economy in JC08 mode improved by 26% from the previous-generation model by reduced driving load, regenerative braking with an alternator and adoption of electrically controlled power steering, along with enhanced engine and CVT, to achieve the 2015 fuel economy standards
- Pedal stroke distance and application force are optimized based on ergonomics for improved operability by measuring the muscle movement in operating the brake pedal
- Roomy comfortable cabin, along with stylish proportion with lower vehicle height
- With side glass placed nearly vertically; ample head clearance is ensured even with lowered height
- With the revised shape of front door trim, ample knee room is provided for the driver seat
- With an optimized shape of front seats, rear knee room is increased by about 10 mm from the previous-generation model, providing generous knee room
- Optimized shape of front seats gives a feeling of spaciousness beyond the actual size
- For improved comfort for three passengers in the rear seats, flat seat surface is adopted in the center and the backrest for both sides is extended outward
- The lower end of B-pillar trim is downsized to improve ingress and egress
- Trunk pass-through is newly adopted, which enables loading of long items; by widening an opening of the trunk, a golf bag can be easily loaded
- Coefficient of drag of 0.29 is achieved by changing the shape of aerodynamic parts.
- Vehicle weight is reduced by 40kg compared to the previous-generation model, resulting in improved acceleration and braking performance
- Handling stability enhancements due to the front and rear weight distribution
- With optimized position of the ottoman, the calves are supported by an enlarged area; as stress on legs is dispersed more extensively, one feels more comfortable when his/her legs are stretched
- Air-conditioned front seats with warm or cold air released through seat cushions and seatbacks to control temperature; the system can warm legs and lower back and get rid of humidity in summer to improve passenger’s comfort while driving
- Vibration and noise, such as wind noise, are reduced by enhanced body rigidity, optimized exhaust mount, a change of the engine mount material and optimized shape of door mirrors
- Best-in-class quietness is achieved thanks to improved sound-absorbing performance; passengers can enjoy conversation in the cabin as usual while driving
- Driving position can be adjusted with the height adjusted by a combination of a driver seat lifter and a tilt steering wheel, and lengthwise position by a combination of a telescopic steering wheel and a sliding seat; a range of driver sizes – from a petite woman to a tall man – are assured the ideal driving position
- Intelligent Key-linked Auto Driving Position Seat is adopted, which automatically adjusts seat and side mirrors to the specific driver based on information input by individual key
- Hood shape is optimized so that it is easier for the driver to see where the vehicle’s front end is; improves drivability when turning left and cornering
- Operability is improved by placing a shift handle 5cm closer to the driver (compared to the previous-generation model)
- Newly-developed multi-link rear suspension system offers improved handling stability and ride comfort; in addition to link bushing, connect bushing is newly adopted so that both excellent response and stable cornering are offered
3. Advanced Equipment
- Spinal Support Front Seats with articulated seat back pad is adopted for front seats; the design eases strain on spine by actively supporting heavy chest and spine to further pursue comfort in long-time driving
- Active Trace Control allows cornering as intended; it applies brakes on the inside wheels when cornering or accelerating when exiting a corner
- Color liquid-crystal Advanced Drive-Assist Display between meters shows a variety of vehicle information and warnings of a number of safety features to help drivers recognize them quickly
4. Safety Features
- Around View Monitor*2, which provides a virtual 360-degree view around the vehicle, equipped with MOD (Moving Object Detection) *2 is adopted; detects moving objects on the display and alerts the driver when parking the car
- Driving support features, using the rear view camera with audible and visual warnings, are adopted to support safe driving: BSW (Blind Spot Warning) *2 which detects a vehicle in the next lane to help the driver avoid a collision when changing lanes; and LDW (Lane Departure Warning) *2which alerts the driver when the vehicle unintentionally drifts out of its travel lane
Other Key Safety, Convenience and Environmental Technologies
- Xenon headlights
- Auto light system (linked dawn sensors and linked with front wipers)
- LED stop lamp
- Seatbelt warning light and sound for all seats
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control <TCS functionality included>)
- Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) 3-point seatbelts for all seats
- Dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat-belt and occupant-classification sensors for driver and front passenger
- Driver and front passenger seat-mounted supplemental side air bagsRoof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags for front- and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection
- Body construction for pedestrian protection
- Front seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters Rear outboard seatbelts with load limiters and pretensioners
- Cruise Control
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System), EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), Brake Assist
- Fuel economy calculated based on JC08 mode
- Every grade achieves the 2015 fuel economy standards
- Every grade achieves SU-LEV certification, emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards
- Achieves more than 95% recyclability rate (where recycling facilities exist)
- *1: Factory-installed option on XV, XL and XE
- *2: Sold as Altima in the U.S. and some other countries.