Honda To Release All-New Fit And Fit Hybrid In Japan
Honda to Release all-New Fit and Fit Hybrid in Japan – Sep 07, 2013– Tokyo, Japan (AutoReleased) – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced it will launch the all-new Fit and Fit Hybrid on September 6, 2013.*1 The first-generation Fit revolutionized the concept of the compact car. Now in its third generation, the Fit once again sets the global compact automobile benchmark. While retaining the design concept of the original model, the all-new Fit features a completely redesigned powertrain and body and offers a whole new level of interior comfort, fuel economy, styling and driving performance.
The Fit Hybrid features the new, simple, one-motor Sport Hybrid i-DCD*2 hybrid system, which performs off-the-line starts in EV mode. By switching automatically among EV Drive, Hybrid Drive and Engine Drive based on driving conditions, this system delivers fuel economy of 36.4 km/L,*3 the highest of any vehicle available in Japan,*4 and high responsiveness throughout the rpm range.
The all-new 1.3 L gasoline-engine Fit features a newly designed engine that achieves class-leading*5 fuel economy of 26.0 km/L,*6 rivaling that of previous Honda hybrids, along with very high output. The all-new 1.5 L gasoline-engine Fit leverages Honda’s proprietary direct injection technology to produce high output for powerful, exhilarating driving.
Honda has further refined the center tank layout, an innovative Honda packaging technology that helped make the original Fit such a revolutionary compact car. The latest refinement of this layout makes possible a significant reduction in vehicle weight and an incredibly roomy interior that greatly exceeds expectations for the compact class. This new packaging contributes to the fun driving people expect from a Honda, as well as to outstanding fuel economy.
Fit 15X L Package (FWD),
First introduced in June 2001, the Fit series has passed the two million units sold milestone in Japan.*7 The Fit is manufactured in 10 locations in eight countries and territories, including Japan. A favorite model around the world, the Fit is available in 123 countries and territories, and over 4.87 million units have been sold to date.*8
- *1The 4WD Hybrid type is scheduled for release in December 2013
- *2The full name is Sport Hybrid Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive
- *3Testing of Fit Hybrid (FWD) by Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in JC08 mode
- *4Honda calculations as of August 2013 excluding plug-in hybrids
- *5Honda calculations as of September 2013
- *6Testing of Fit 13G (FWD) by Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in JC08 mode
- *7Honda calculations as of April 30, 2013
- *8Honda calculations as of September 2013
Key features of Fit and Fit Hybrid
Honda’s new design concept: “EXCITING H DESIGN!!!”
- The new crossfade monoform exterior styling represents a dynamic evolution of traditional Fit design elements. Advanced in every way, it is the perfect look for the world’s benchmark compact automobile.
- As spacious and comfortable as ever, the sophisticated, futuristic cockpit takes refinement and ease of driving to the next level. The cockpit’s controls are concentrated for driver convenience, the front passenger area is open and roomy, and the rear seats are highly comfortable for long drives. Every area of the interior is enhanced in both functionality and value.
- For fun, comfortable driving, the cockpit’s advanced interface gives the driver intuitive control and instant access to important information.
Earth Dreams Technology powertrains—completely new to the Fit series
- Thanks to the newly designed 1.3 L Atkinson cycle DOHC i-VTEC engine and the newly designed lightweight, compact, wide-range CVT, this model offers class-leading fuel economy of 26.0 km/L.
< 15X and RS >
- The newly designed 1.5 L direct injection DOHC i-VTEC engine offers maximum output that is approximately 10 percent higher than that of the previous model. The result is powerful driving with a refined feel.
< Hybrid >
- In combination, the 1.5 L Atkinson cycle DOHC i-VTEC engine; 7-speed DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) with internal high-output motor; and IPU (Intelligent Power Unit) with internal lithium-ion battery deliver fuel economy of 36.4 km/L, the highest in Japan for a hybrid vehicle.
- The electric servo braking system increases regeneration efficiency, while the fully electric compressor reduces engine load. These and other advanced technologies help the new hybrid system offer more than 35 percent higher fuel economy than Honda’s previous IMA hybrid system.
- Based on driving conditions, the hybrid system can automatically link and unlink the motor and gasoline engine, switching among three different drive modes: EV Drive uses the motor only, Hybrid Drive uses the motor and gasoline engine, and Engine Drive uses the gasoline engine only.
Newly developed platform
- In the first-generation Fit, Honda’s original center tank layout helped revolutionize the compact automobile. Maximizing the benefits of this layout, the all-new platform made it possible to design interior space and overall packaging more freely and flexibly than ever before.
- Aiming for high fuel economy and exhilarating driving at the highest level, Honda has fully updated its manufacturing and analytical methods for the Fit series, resulting in a platform design that is even more lightweight and rigid.
- The surface area of sound-absorbing and -proofing materials is increased, helping produce exceptional quietness typically found in a mid-size automobile. This enhancement also greatly reduces the noise generated by irregular road surfaces.
- The roofline, front pillars, rear combination lamps and underbody have been designed for enhanced airflow, reduced drag and overall superior aerodynamic performance.
Newly designed chassis for fun driving in the Honda tradition
- The newly designed suspension offers smooth, stable vehicle posture and delay-free roll during turning. The result is a combination of stable steering, handling performance with a steady feel and a comfortable ride with minimized vibration.
- In Fit Hybrid types, the electric servo braking system converts a much higher amount of kinetic energy into electricity during deceleration, contributing to outstanding fuel economy. In addition, this braking system is the world’s first*9 to offer variable servo ratio control, which makes possible a highly linear and steady braking feel.
- Honda research as of September 2013
Advanced safety technologies concentrated in a compact body
- Featuring Honda’s proprietary G-Force Control Technology (G-CON), the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure is a Honda-exclusive body design that enhances occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal collisions. The Pedestrian Injury Mitigation Body is designed to mitigate pedestrian injuries in the event of a collision involving the front of the vehicle. These and other technologies contribute to the excellent passive safety of the all-new Fit.
- Designed to assist the driver in preventing accidents, the active safety technologies of the all-new Fit include VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist), HSA (Hill-Start Assist) and the Emergency Stop Signal (ESS), which warns vehicles to the rear of a sudden stop.
- Offering a range of enhanced safety features, the City-Brake Active system is available on certain Fit types. The newly developed City-Brake Active system is designed to help drivers avoid rear-end collisions and accidents during off-the-line starts. The system is accompanied by a side curtain airbag system and a front seat i-side airbag system with staged inflation.
Advanced Honda Internavi navigation system and Linkup Free
- The electrostatic touch panel interface is easy to use, providing smartphone-like operation (factory option).
- Internavi LINC Premium Club members enjoy several advanced services. The Smart Map Update Service lets users update all map data for free every six months via the Linkup Free network for the first three years. More practical than ever before, the emergency information service sends the vehicle location and other pertinent information to HELPNET®*10 (an emergency response service in Japan) when an airbag activates due to a collision or other cause.
- HELPNET® is a registered trademark of Japan Mayday Service Co., Ltd.
Fit with rotating front passenger seat
- The rotating front passenger seat on this model makes it even easier to get in and out of the all-new Fit. Retaining the basic design, comfort and holding performance of the regular passenger seat, the exclusive rotating seat has a lower cushion with a smooth front edge for easier entry and egress.
- A touch of a lever makes the seat rotate smoothly. There is ample foot room throughout rotation to make the seat even easier to use.