Nissan GT-R Nismo Gets Ready For European Debut
Nissan GT-R Nismo gets ready for European debut – Feb 09, 2014– Rolle, Switzerland (AutoReleased) – Developed, honed and perfected during extensive testing in Europe, the Nissan GT-R Nismo will return to make its European debut at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show on 4th March.
With DNA from the legendary Nismo global racing team, the ultimate GT-R is a race-oriented model delivering “factory tuned” supercar dynamics with revolutionary enhanced aerodynamics and ultra-precise handling. The Nissan GT-R is already established as one of the best performing supercars in the automotive sphere, and now Nissan has drawn on decades of racing experience gathered by Nismo, the brand’s motorsport specialists, to develop the ultimate Nissan GT-R.
The Nissan GT-R Nismo features exclusive styling that embraces the longstanding racing philosophy of form following function. It has numerous motorsports-inspired technologies to enhance the car’s performance through optimised aerodynamics, suspension and powertrain, creating a well-balanced machine that is at home on both the road and track.
The Nissan GT-R Nismo is now available in Japan, and will go on sale in Europe in September. Complementing its authentic Japanese racing heritage, the new GT-R flagship also has roots in Europe, having been developed and tested at Germany’s famous Nürburgring Nordschleife, widely considered to be one of the most challenging circuits in the world.
Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn says this is the fastest Nissan GT-R ever. “With a 7:08.679 lap time, we can authoritatively say that the Nissan GT-R Nismo*2 holds the volume production car lap record at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which is the gold standard of high performance achievement.”
Nissan GT-R Nismo Overview
1. Mechanical Features
Nissan GT-R Nismo employs innovation, uncompromising engineering and motorsports-inspired technologies to achieve new levels of power, speed and handling.
- Under the hood, the 3.8-liter V6 VR38DETT engine benefits from the know-how that Nismo has gained from participating in such events as the world-renowned Nürburgring 24 hour race. Engine power has risen and is now rated at 600PS (441kw) and 481 lb ft (652 Nm) of torque.
- New high-flow, large capacity turbochargers, which are used for GT3 racing, improve breathing, while optimized individual ignition timing control for each cylinder and upgraded fuel pump improve combustion.
- The springs and custom-developed Bilstein DampTronic dampers in the front and rear suspension are specially tuned to deliver exceptional grip levels and progressive handling response at the limit. Three suspension modes can be selected: Comfort, Normal and R, for circuit applications.
- Exclusive Nismo tires – developed by Dunlop – exhibit outstanding grip and handling characteristics. Front: 255/40 ZRF20; rear 285/35 ZRF20.
- Specially-developed links fitted to the front double wishbone suspension increase castor trail to optimize wheel position during high-G cornering and improve straight-line and cornering stability. Additionally, large high-rigidity bolts are used to increase stiffness of the wheel-hub attachment area.
- To minimize body-roll during cornering and changes of direction, the Nissan GT-R Nismo features a 17.3 mm hollow rear anti-roll bar which raises roll stiffness while reducing weight.
- Increased rigidity in the bodyshell is achieved using adhesive bonding in addition to spot welding leading to precise suspension response under extreme load, the Nismo “factory tuned” enhancement.
2. Exterior design – Exclusive styling with improved aerodynamics
- Using the latest Computational Fluid Dynamic simulation techniques to analyze airflow, Nismo has developed an aero package that improves road-holding, minimizes the negative impact of drag, while giving the car a menacing and muscular appearance.
- Together, the front bumper, engine undercover strake and carbon rear spoiler increase downforce, lowering the center of gravity and generating an additional 100kg*1 (at 300km/h) compared to the freshly updated 2014 Nissan GT-R model. The car’s aerodynamic characteristics are tuned to ensure the downforce is equally spread front to rear at all speeds for progressive handling characteristics. A widened front bumper configuration and elongated yet tapered rear bumper design keep the drag to Cd 0.26, same with that of 2014 Nissan GT-R.
- The Nissan GT-R Nismo will be available in five body colors: Brilliant White Pearl, Meteor Flake Pearl Black, Ultimate Metallic Silver and Vibrant Red. And unique to the GT-R Nismo model, a Dark Matte Grey*3accentuates the car’s imposing exterior muscularity.
- The GT-R Nismo’s black 6-spoke wheels are inspired by Nissan’s GT-R race car which races in the GT500 class in SUPER GT.
- The Nissan GT-R Nismo cockpit inspires driver confidence through both its craftsmanship and optimized driving position.
- Ergonomically sculpted carbon-fiber-backed reclining RECARO seats (Europe/Japan) comfortably, yet firmly, support the driver and front-seat passenger.
- Nismo racers influenced the design of the steering wheel which is dressed in Alcantara®, with three spokes, red center mark and red stitching to give the best combination of grip, feedback and comfort.
- The combi meter has carbon-like finish, and tachometer features a red design. The meter hood is also dressed with Alcantara®.
- Interior trim features include discreet red stitching on the seats, center console, door trim and steering wheel.
*1: Compared to 2014 Nissan GT-R
*2: Nissan GT-R Nismo with track options
*3: Dark Matte Grey will be available starting from summer in 2014.