Nissan Releases All-New Dayz
Nissan Releases All-New Dayz – Jun 07, 2013– Yokohama, Japan (AutoReleased) – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the all-new minicar Nissan DAYZ, which goes on sale today at Nissan dealers throughout Japan.
The new Nissan DAYZ, the first minicar for which Nissan participated in the development from the onset of the product planning phase, achieves fuel economy of 29.2 km/L (in JC08 mode testing)*1 – the best among height wagon-type minicars – thanks to the newly-developed three-cylinder engine, continuously variable transmission (CVT) with sub-planetary gear, and its lightweight body. This qualifies DAYZ for preferential tax breaks under the Japanese “tax system to promote the diffusion of environmentally friendly vehicles”, thereby fully exempting it from the automobile acquisition tax and automobile weight tax.*2
With a dynamic exterior and high-quality feel interior, the new DAYZ adopts the Around View Monitor technology and touch-screen automatic air-conditioning system for the first time in minicars, offering customers greater comfort and convenience than ever before. The car also adopts other enhancements, including super UV-cut heat insulated green glass for the front doors (which filters out 99 percent of UV rays), Emergency Stop Signal, Comfort Flasher and electric automatic retractable door-lock-linked remote control body-colored door mirrors.
Based on the dual-pillar strategy of Zero Emissions and PURE DRIVE*3, Nissan continues its efforts to reduce CO2 emissions throughout its product lineup. The new DAYZ is one of Nissan’s PURE DRIVE models.
Following the new DAYZ, Nissan will release the second minicar in the Nissan DAYZ series, a super-height wagon, Nissan DAYZ ROOX, in early 2014.
Highlights of the new DAYZ include:
- Best-in-class fuel economy in tall wagon-type minicars*1
- A dynamic exterior and high-quality feel interior which have not been seen in conventional minicars to date
- Advanced equipment for enhanced convenience, which expands the range of possible uses for owners
Overview of the new DAYZ
Exterior styling combines a three-dimensional dynamic shape with practicality and user friendliness, as seen in:
- Smooth-flowing side view that embraces a large open cabin
- Arched character lines running from the headlights and sharp character lines starting from the rear combination taillights
- Two sculptured character lines and a strongly slanted waistline that add dynamism to the side view
- The clean wide front view with distinctive grille design and molding at the lower end of the grille – which is linked to headlights and headlights – creates a feeling of friendliness
- Distinctive rear view with L-shaped rear combination lights and uneven panel shape
■ DAYZ Highway STAR
Sharp exterior design with a strong presence thanks to:
- The front view with standout Highway STAR model characteristics, including a large radiator grille with wide chrome-plated bars, sharp xenon headlights and a massive bumper
- Projector-type headlights with elaborately-made plated finish and rear combination lights with a clear lens, which help create a premium feel
- 15-inch aluminum wheels exclusive to Highway STAR models
Open space for relaxation, wrapped in high-quality
- Curved instrument panel extending from the center cluster
- Touch-screen piano-black center cluster panel (Normal: X, Highway STAR: standard on all grades)
- Rear seats with a forward-slanting shape to support the calves of passengers
- Modern ivory color interior with an open atmosphere where the glossy piano-black section stands out
- A large, simple, easy-to-view meter with white illumination
■ DAYZ Highway STAR
- Sporty ebony color interior with a premium feel accentuated by silver finisher and blue-illuminated meters
- Sporty meters with blue illumination and a stereoscopic silver ring
- There are a total of eight available exterior colors, including three newly-developed colors: Mineral Blue (M), Reddish Maroon (PM) and Premium Purple (P) (M: metallic, PM: pearl metallic, P: pearl)
2. Driving performance and packaging
Engine and transmission
- Equipped with a newly developed three-cylinder compact engine
- Achieves both strong driving performance and best-in-class fuel economy among height wagon-type minicars, 29.2 km/L, thanks to improved combustion efficiency, adoption of an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler, reduced friction and the electronically-controlled thermostat
- XTRONIC CVT with sub-planetary gear has been adopted in all grades
- Idling Stop System, which operates at the speed of 13 km/h or less before the car stops (2WD: S and X, Highway STAR: X and G)
- A spacious cabin was achieved due to a long wheelbase. Comes with an adjusting mechanism for front seats, including seat slide and lift functions, as well as tilt steering. Improved visibility with windows that are extended to the edge of the roof. Largest-in-class legroom in the rear seats improves ease of egress/ingress.
Aerodynamics performance and weight reduction
- Air resistance is reduced by lowering the height of the rear end of the roof in order to not direct the air flow from the top of the body down the rear of the car. The shape of the bumper has also been optimized
- A light weight for the car was achieved with an optimized body structure that uses advanced high tensile steel (4% of body weight) and high tensile steel (52% of body weight)*4 while ensuring safety
3. Advanced technology and convenience
Around View Monitor (standard on X, Highway STAR G, Highway STAR G Turbo, factory-installed option on Highway STAR X)
The Around View Monitor (AVM), offered for the first time in a minicar, displays an image of the vehicle from above, using four cameras installed in the front, both sides and rear. Since the AVM image is projected on the driver’s rearview mirror, which also has an auto anti-glare function, a car navigation system is not required to use this feature.
Touch-screen automatic air-conditioning system (standard on X and all Highway STAR grades)
An automatic air-conditioning system with a large piano-black touch screen has been adopted. With a large touch screen and high-intensity white light, the switch can be operated intuitively.
Super UV-cut heat insulated green glass (standard on X and all Highway STAR grades)
Super UV-cut heat insulated green glass is used for the front door glass, which filters out 99 percent of UV rays.
Emergency Stop Signal (standard on all grades)
Hazard warning lights are automatically flashed on and off when depressing the brakes firmly or when the ABS is operated.
Electric automatic retractable door lock-linked remote control body-colored door mirrors (standard on all grades)
Door mirrors automatically open and close aligned with the operation of the door lock/unlock function.
Comfort Flasher (standard on all grades)
The turn signal lights flash three times and then automatically stop after the turn signal lever is lightly pushed.
- In addition to a shopping bag hook and under-seat compartment, various storage spaces, including cup holders and door pockets, are conveniently placed throughout the vehicle.
- Luggage space of 93 liters (VDA assessment method) can accommodate large objects of various sizes and shapes, depending on the rear seat configuration.
<Other Key Safety and Environmental Technologies>
- Eco-drive indicator
- Bi-xenon headlights (standard on Highway STAR)
- Halogen headlights (manual control) (standard on DAYZ)
- Auto light system (linked with front wipers) (standard on Highway STAR G, Highway STAR G Turbo)
- High Mount Stop Lamp
- Around View Monitor (top view/side blind/front view/rear view) (standard on X, Highway STAR G/G Turbo, factory-installed option on Highway STAR X)
- Rear View Monitor (standard on Highway STAR X, dealer-installed option on Highway STAR J)
- Rear windshield wiper
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) and EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution)
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control <TCS functionality included>) (standard on Highway STAR G Turbo 2WD grade)
- Hill Start Assist (standard on vehicles equipped with Idling Stop System and vehicles with VDC)
- High-strength body construction
- Double pretensioner seatbelts with load limiter for the driver’s seat
- Seatbelt with pretensioner and load limiter for the front passenger seat
- Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) 3-point seatbelts for all seats
- SRS airbag system for driver and front passenger
- Electric-assisted power steering
- Achieves “20% improvement in fuel economy over 2015 standards” (vehicles equipped with naturally-aspirated engines), “10% improvement in fuel economy over 2015 standards” (2WD vehicles equipped with turbo engines) or “2015 fuel economy standards” (4WD models equipped with turbo engines)
- Achieves “SU-LEV certification by emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards” (all grades)
Sales target: 8,000 units/month
Price range: 1,067,850 yen to 1,567,650 yen, including consumption tax
Sales launch events: June 8 (Sat.) – 9 (Sun.) and 15 (Sat.) – 16 (Sun.)