Nissan Releases All-New Skyline
Nissan Releases All-New Skyline – Nov 11, 2013– Yokohama, Japan (AutoReleased) – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the all-new Skyline, which goes on sale late February 2014 at Nissan dealers throughout Japan.
Since its debut in 1957, Skyline has been well received by many customers. The new Skyline is the most premium and dynamic model among successive models. Offering unprecedented driving pleasure, its sensuous design, advanced technology and performance will be new benchmarks for luxury models.
What supports these are Nissan’s great technology strength and expertise in design gained by the development of Nissan Motor Company’s world-class premium brand, Infiniti. As its proof, the new Skyline carries Infiniti badge.
Highlights of the new Skyline include:
○ High-quality driving pleasure acting in concert with your feelings
Nissan’s original one-motor two-clutch parallel hybrid “Intelligent Dual Clutch Control” system is adopted in every grade. It offers both powerful acceleration performance with maximum power output of 268kW (364ps) and superb fuel economy of 18.4km/L (on JC08 mode) *1.
World’s first Direct Adaptive Steering technology controls tire movements with steering inputs transformed into electrical signal. This system delivers responsive handling and quickly communicates road surface feedback to the driver.
Combined with another world’s first, Active Lane Control, which uses a camera to detect the intended direction of the vehicle based on the lane markers at speeds of 70 kilometers per hour or more to help fine-tune the tire angle and steering reaction force, resulting in greater driver confidence at highway speeds.
○ Dynamic and uplifting design elaborately created to drive
Exterior design expresses vigor and premium feel by lower and wider proportions created with the height decreased by 10 mm and the width increased by 50 mm compared to the previous-generation model; LED headlights that suggest eyes looking intently ahead; sporty side view that highlights FR’s dynamic and forward-tilted stance; and impressive rear view with a strong presence .
Interior design for the driver’s seat offers high functionality and excitement with which the driver can concentrate on driving while roomy space and high-quality comfort are offered to the front passenger’s seat and rear seats. The design that gives a premium appearance motivates the driver to drive longer and further.
○Leadership in Safety through Innovation
The new Skyline offers exceptional safety performance, beginning with its high-strength body construction (Zone Body) that utilizes the world’s first 1.2 gigapascal (GPa) Ultra High Tensile Strength Steel with High Formability. Unlike many of its key competitors, the new Skyline offers a suite of innovative crash avoidance technologies intended to help reduce collisions around the vehicle. Available technologies include Emergency Brake, which can help the driver avoid a frontal collision at speeds of 60 km/h or less, and Backup Collision Intervention, which helps the driver avoid collisions with crossing path vehicles when backing up, as well as Lane Departure Prevention and Blind Spot Intervention.
With run-flat tires included as standard in every grade, the vehicle can travel around 150 km at 80 kilometers per hour even with completely flat tires.
The new Skyline will be produced in the Tochigi Plant (Kaminokawa-machi, Kawachi-gun, Tochigi prefecture), Nissan’s mother plant for luxury vehicles. With excellent production engineering and craftsmanship, the Tochigi Plant delivers cars with highest quality to customers.
The new Skyline achieves 20% improvement in fuel economy over 2015 standards and SU-LEV certification, emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards, thereby fully exempting it from the automobile acquisition tax and automobile weight tax in every grade.
- *1: 350GT HYBRID (2WD). If the vehicle weight is 1,770 kg or more with options included, it is 17.8 km/h)
Sales target: 200 units / month
Price range: 4,496,100 yen to 5,537,700 yen, including consumption tax
Sales launch event: Saturday and Sunday, March 1-2 (TBD)
<Overview of the new Skyline>
Exterior design with dignified and functional beauty for driving
- Distinctive front design that accentuates a three-dimensional appearance of a nose cone
- Waved mesh-pattern front grille that expresses functional beauty and boldness
- LED headlights with distinctive daytime running light signature and LED rear combination lamps
- Newly-designed exclusive LED turn signals and LED fog lamps that accentuates a wide feel and boldness of the front mask
- Robust shoulder character line that expresses willingness to drive in a sporty manner
- Beautiful roofline and distinctive Crescent-cut C-pillar
- Rear fender line that is dynamic and conveys power to rear tires
- Highly-aerodynamic spoiler-shaped trunk lid
- Bright cutting surfaces and light gray metallic of 17-inch and 19-inch bright-cut aluminum wheels that deliver sportiness and a high-quality feel
- Available with a choice of eight exterior colors including the new colors, HAGANE Blue (M) (special color) and Premium Brown (M) (special color) (M stands for metallic)
Interior design with excitement at sporty driving and sophisticated comfort combined
- Instrument panel with “double wave” design which comfortably embraces both driver and front passenger seats.
- Functional and embracing driver’s seat which brings about excitement at driving
- Twin-display cluster design that delivers smart, advanced operational feeling and visual information
- Large twin meters that give a detailed feel of chronograph dials
- High-quality, high-precision center console design elaborately created with craftsmanship, which includes elaboration realized by a great combination of beautiful shapes and materials and a knee pad with beautiful stitch.
- Genuine wood trim that offers high-quality feel inspired by the traditional Urushi (Japanese lacquer) painting technique called ‘Fuki-urushi’ and “Kacchu” aluminum finisher inspired by traditional Samurai armaments
2. Driving performance, Packaging
- Nissan’s original one-motor two-clutch parallel hybrid “Intelligent Dual Clutch Control” system, which optimally balances driving and environmental performances, adopted in every grade
- Electric motor that generates maximum torque of 290N・m
- World’s first Direct Adaptive Steering and Active Lane Control adopted in all grades
- Nissan’s first hybrid four-wheel drive system equipped with ATTESA E-TS (electronically controlled torque split 4WD system)
- Optimized shape of the rear end of the upper surface of the body results in best-in-class coefficient of drag of 0.26
- Zero front and rear lift achieved by optimized underfloor shape
- With well-balanced driving proportions with low seating position, front head clearance is increased by 10 mm and shoulder room, increased by 20 mm
- Rear seats deliver roomier feeling than the actual size, which is achieved by better forward visibility resulted from the shape of the front seats and narrower B-pillar and optimized shape of the front end of the rear seat cushion
- With the ingenious shape of the back of the front seats, rear knee room is increased by about 20 mm from the previous model
- Narrower lower end of B-pillar and optimized shape of the seat cushion make it easier to enter and exit
- With the high-current battery innovatively positioned, class-top 400-liter luggage space is offered
- With the extensive use of lightweight aluminum components, optimized link geometry and bush characteristics and coaxial spring/damper, the newly-developed rear suspension provides both great handling and comfort
- While achieving high rigidity, vehicle weight is reduced. With increased front body rigidity, body deformation at the beginning of steering is reduced.
- Articulated seat back pad is newly adopted in both front and rear seats. It eases strain on spine by actively supporting heavy chest and spine to further pursue comfort in long-time driving
- Road noise and vibration are blocked out by increased rigidity around dash panel, optimized rigidity of rear suspension rubber bush and member and increased rigidity of wheel spokes. Class-top quietness is achieved so one can enjoy comfortable driving from urban street driving to high-speed driving.
- Active Noise Control, which produces opposite-phase sound to reduce unpleasant muffled sound generated by synchronization with engine revolutions, is adopted in all grades, achieving high-quality interior space.
- Bose audio system® which provides dynamic entertainment that generates driving excitement is adopted in all grades as an option.
3. Advanced Equipment
- Advanced cockpit that features intuitive operability. Operable parts are concentrated within 650 mm where the driver can reach without changing his/her posture.
- Color liquid-crystal Advanced Drive-Assist Display between meters shows a variety of vehicle information and warnings of a number of safety features to help drivers recognize them quickly.
- Multi-function switch and Drive mode selector switch that can be intuitively operated even while driving.
- In addition to four driving modes, Drive mode selector provides 96 customized driving variations in PERSONAL Mode from the combinations of engine, transmission, steering, Active Lane Control and others.
- 8-inch and 7-inch wide twin displays with improved visibility and operability, which can be operated with fingers like Smartphones
- Personal Assistant program which memorizes personal setting of maximum of three drivers, including seat position and driving preference
4. Safety features
- World’s first PFCW (Predictive Forward Collision Warning) *2, which can detect a possible collision up to two cars ahead and gives an alert to the driver with a visual warning and audible buzzer when deceleration is required.
- Adoption of BSW (Blind Spot Warning) *2, which detects a vehicle in the next lane to reduce risk of car-to-car collision when changing lanes, and the Nissan first BSI (Blind Spot Intervention) *3
- Japan’s first adoption of BCI (Backup Collision Intervention) *2 which can detect a vehicle approaching when in reverse and warn the driver to help reduce the risk of a collision.
- *2: Standard on 350GT HYBRID Type SP/350GT HYBRID Type P/350GT FOUR HYBRID Type SP /350GT FOUR HYBRID Type P
<Other Key Safety, Convenience and Environmental Technologies>
- LED head lamps (with high/low beam, auto-control) and LED fog lamps
- High Beam Assist, Active AFS*3
- Auto light system (linked dawn sensors and linked with front wipers)
- LED rear combination taillights, LED High Mount Stop Lamp
- Intelligent Control Assist (Distance Control Assist) *4
- Intelligent Cruise Control*4
- Emergency Brake Operated Pre-crash Front Seat Belts (with comfort function) *4
- Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) 3-point seatbelts for all seats
- 2-stage load limiter equipped seatbelt with double pretensioners for front seats
- Load limiter equipped seatbelts with pretensioners for right and left rear seats
- Driver and passenger supplemental front-impact air bags
- Front seat mounted side-impact supplemental air bags
- Roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags
- Body construction for pedestrian protection (with pop-up engine hood)
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control <TCS functionality included>)
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System), EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), Brake Assist
- Cornering Stability Assist
- Hill Start Assist
- LDP (Lane Departure Prevention)/LDW (Lane Departure Warning)
- Approaching Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians (AVSP) system
- Around View Monitor (with MOD <Moving Object Detection> and Parking Assist)*5
- Driving Safety Support System (DSSS)
- Fuel economy calculated based on JC08 mode
- All grades achieve 20% improvement in fuel economy over 2015 standards
- All grades achieve SU-LEV certification, emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards
- Achieves more than 95% recyclability rate (where recycling facilities exist)
- *3: Option on 350GT HYBRID Type SP / 350GT HYBRID Type P / 350GT FOUR HYBRID Type SP / 350GT FOUR HYBRID Type P
- *4: Standard on 350GT HYBRID Type SP / 350GT HYBRID Type P / 350GT FOUR HYBRID Type SP / 350GT FOUR HYBRID Type P
- *5: Standard on 350GT HYBRID Type SP / 350GT HYBRID Type P / 350GT FOUR HYBRID Type SP / 350GT FOUR HYBRID Type P. Option on 350GT HYBRID / 350GT FOUR HYBRID
The V36 Skyline will continue to be sold in three grades, 250 GT, 250 Type S and 250GT FOUR. Their manufacturer’s suggested retail prices will be revised today.
With the price revision, the V36 Skyline will offer Privacy grass as standard on 250GT and 250GT FOUR grades in addition to their existing attractive features.
Price range: 2,990,400 yen to 3,490,650 yen, including consumption tax